Thursday, December 9, 2010

That First Quilt…

Sorry it is hard to see, but it's the only pic I could find with Scarlett's quilt in it.
When I was born, my great grandmother, Nana, made me a quilt. I would drag it around with me everywhere! It was the only pink thing that this little tomboy liked as a child. Sadly, it was lost in the Flood of ‘93. We were evacuated in a hurry and it was left behind. Anyhow, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I decided that she needed a quilt. The problem was that no one in my family quilts any longer. Nana passed away and she was the only quilter I could think of. I decided to make one myself.
I was lucky enough to find a sewing machine at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store ( I love that place!) for only $15. I checked out books from the library and went on an online quest to learn how to use it. I had never used one before! (I was a tomboy-I took shop in school) I also found a quilt shop-the only one in my town-and the owner was good enough to explain some things to me. I bought a charm pack and made my first quilt.
My daughter loves it. She has other quilts now, but that one is her favorite and she drags it around everywhere. It’s not the prettiest and I’m amazed that it hasn’t fallen apart yet, but I love looking at it. Except for the binding-the binding and I got into a fight and I lost. lol.
It’s been almost 3 years since that first quilt and what started as a one-off thing became a hobby, and now a passion and *hopefully* a career. Please wish me luck as I start Sew Very Happy Quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please make sure your e-mail address is attached to your Blogger profile so I can reply. Thanks for stopping by!